I was planning on waiting to write a review for "Breaking Dawn" until next week, but my mind is like a sieve right now, I'm afraid I won't remember anything about the book by the end of this week. So, if you haven't read the book yet and are still planning on reading it, STOP READING NOW, until you've finished. I don't want to give anything away to those who have yet to read it, but I need to in order to properly express my feelings.
It finally occurred to me on about page 150 that I have been categorizing these books completely wrong. For some strange reason, I had them grouped in with Fantasy and Action. Yes, there is an element of fantasy (vampires and werewolves and mind-reading), and yes, there is action. But these books are romance novels, pure and simple. Once I realized that, I actually felt a little less critical about the content. A little. You notice I said that this occurred to me after 150 pages. Those first 150 pages could have been summed up into about 5. Bella and Edward had a beautiful wedding, which every girl fantasizes about. Beautiful flowers, beautiful bride, weeping mother, dashing groom, the works. And then they go on their honeymoon. Ah, the perfect honeymoon fantasy. A remote isle, beautiful surroundings, kayaking, palm trees, a really pretty big bed--all things that you'd expect from a honeymoon. But was it really necessary to have that honeymoon last 75 pages? And this is where my realization kicked in. These 150 pages were what Meyer's 4 books were all about. The fantasy romance. Once I understood which genre I was reading, I was a little more forgiving about the amount of time that was spent gushing over how perfect Edward was, and how much Bella adored him, blah blah blah. I still feel that Stephenie Meyer should find a better editor, however, because regardless of how romantic something is, it only needs to be said once. (I got that they figured out the whole physical intimacy thing very quickly and didn't need three separate illustrations.) I was also dismayed yet again at how much sensual content there was, considering the intended audience is teenage girls. Yikes. I find it interesting that she goes into more detail in the teenage romance books than her other book, "The Host," whose primary audience is adults. I don't know that I would recommend these to a 14-year-old girl.
I find that I am a bit scattered, so I'm going to list the things I liked to make it a little easier:
1. Bella's vampire baby was completely unexpected to me. One reason I was pulling for Jacob was because if Bella ended up with Edward, she'd never experience the joy of pregnancy (if she, in fact, did enjoy being beaten up repeatedly from the inside) or motherhood. And Meyer managed to work in yet another vampire myth to solve that problem. I was glad that she found a way for Bella to experience motherhood, and even more glad that it was a surprise. I like to be surprised, and I didn't think I would be.
2. Jacob's point of view was kind of fun. Just like everything else in her books, I felt it could have been a little less wordy and drawn out, but I enjoyed having a moment in my favorite character's head. Since my vote has been for Jacob all along, I was grateful that Jacob got a little more time and attention in this book. He seems to be the most fleshed-out character in the series. I find it interesting that although Bella is the heroine, and Edward is her true love forever, Jacob is the only one that is shown in great detail, flaws and all. I wondered if Meyer would use the imprinting instinct as a tool to get Jacob out of the love triangle, and was glad that, since she chose to use it, it was told from his point of view. I was a little less disappointed. It did bother me, though, that her writing got a LOT sloppier and grammatically incorrect while she was writing from his point of view. She changed voices by changing writing styles, and I have no problem with that. What bothered me was that when Bella was the narrator, things were so eloquently described, and Bella was not an eloquent person in her thoughts or speech. Then when Jacob was the narrator everything was in the style of his speech. Suddenly the descriptions of the surroundings were as though Jacob were speaking them aloud, in a very conversational, casual way, full of slang and grammatical errors. I'm sure this was intentional, but I found it irritatingly inconsistent. If she had written Bella's point of view in words that Bella would have spoken aloud, I would have felt it was appropriate for Jacob's point of view to be the way it was. Okay, so I went on a little bit of a rant there. Sorry, this is the section about what I liked. I enjoyed that for a little while, we got to see things from a werewolf's point of view.
3. I was glad there was a happy ending. Since this is a romance series, and completely unrealistic, it might as well have worked out very neatly so that Jacob gets his girl, Edward and Bella live happily ever after as beautiful vampires, and none of their family dies. Oh, and Charlie gets to see his beloved daughter and granddaughter without being eaten. It all seemed a little too tidy for me, but, like my sister told me earlier, there are plenty of depressing books out there to chew on and brood over, and these books are not for deep thinking. They are a vampire fairy tale. So why not make it as happy as possible, right?
4. All in all, despite my complaints about Stephenie Meyer's writing skills (like I'm one to talk anyway), she is extremely creative and has created an exciting world that she has obviously thought through very thoroughly. The vampires' and werewolves' histories and mythologies are very detailed and it's clear she has a talent for creativity. ("The Host" is another book that she wrote that I found original and interesting, and clearly well thought out.)
Now for my complaints:
1. As mentioned before, let's cut out 300 pages. I'm sure there are some who relished every word on every one of the 754 pages in this book, but I like to relish something once and not reread the same drivel for hundreds of pages. I got that Bella was a great vampire, and she was meant to be a vampire, and so on. I just wanted to get to the action once she was changed, and it felt like it took FOREVER!
2. For a book aimed at teenagers, could we keep it a little more G? I know it's possible. I've read lots of books by Mary Stewart, and she's a master at hinting without telling.
3. The big showdown that was hinted at FOREVER once Bella met the Volturi was kind of a letdown. I am glad none of the Cullens got ripped to shreds. That's great. But it seems like after all that build-up, there could have been a little more action or something. I think that entire confrontation took 10 or 15 pages (I've loaned out my copy now, so I can't flip to the end to see), and if you're going to make a book that long and wordy, at least make what should be the most exciting part of the series a little more exciting! Hooray for Bella figuring out her superpower. Hooray for her keeping everyone safe. But really? That's all we get? I guess when I reached that part, my mentality had flipped back into Action mode and not Romance. It just seems like if you're going to have an entire chapter about Bella going on her first hunt as a vampire, you can take a little time to let Emmett rip Jane and Alec apart. Or have Alice sneak up behind the Volturi and take out Caiaus. Or have a physical showdown between the Romanians and the Volturi. Maybe all the football I watch has made me a little violent, and I expect crunching of bones and enemies to be taken down. I just felt like the ends of the other 3 books were much more exciting.
4. See #2 in my "like" category. I went off for a few minutes about Jacob's narrative.
What did you think of the book? I know Jenny will have something to say. I can't wait to find out. I tried to write my review before talking too much with anyone else about it. I tend to get persuaded easily by others. But now I'd like to know. Did you like it?
Overall, I think I'm leaning toward Like over Dislike. I may read it again in a few weeks. I read it as fast as I could so no one could have a chance to give away the ending. And I was on little sleep, since I bought it at a release party. My opinion could be completely different next time. It's been known to happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I had the exact same realization that you did, except that it was around page 300. I'm slow, I guess.
I'm doing a co-review of it sometime this month, but I'll give you a teaser. I definitely lean towards the Dislike. Why? I hate romance novels. It explains why I have read these books like homework instead of for enjoyment. I'm saving all my best ranting for my blog, but that'll give you a warning.
I might reference your blog and quote you, if that's okay. You have a few nuggets I want to pilfer.
You're welcome to quote my blog. I'm embarrassed that it took me more than three books to realize what I was reading. I'm looking forward to your review. Do you ever wonder if Stephenie Meyer looks around for people's reviews of her books? I doubt she'd ever find my blog, but wouldn't it be funny if there were a comment that showed up on one of our rants by her?
Before I ever picked up the books (after Eclipse was published), my sister told it was a vampire love story. That tipped me off immediately, so all the gushy stuff didn't bother me as much.
I think I feel more strongly about this book than you do. I am firmly in the dislike camp. There were things I enjoyed--specifically Jacob's narrative, especially his chapter titles. But I also must have misunderstood what the books were about. Eclipse especially discussed how Bella's choice would forever alter her life. That to be with Edward there would be real sacrifices. Please point out to me what she ended up sacrificing. Absolutely nothing. She's hot and super strong, she doesn't have to actually make a choice between her two loves because Jacob imprinted on her daughter, she can see her family because she's the coolest newborn ever, and her super ability saves all the honest vampires from certain destruction.
I enjoy happy endings. I was thrilled in Harry Potter that things happened the way they did. But there were real sacrifices to Harry's choices. I shouldn't compare the two, but the media did it for months leading up to Breaking Dawn's release. I thought the comparison was mostly hyperbole, but now I know it was all hyperbole. There was not one single thing in that book that was sad or signaled that life couldn't be perfect.
I'm with you that she needs a new editor. An editor that will actually do some editing would be nice, but also, how about a publishing company that gives her time to write something quality? She published 2 books this year (I haven't read The Host so I have no opinions about its quality) and has spent a significant amount of time with the movie. She spread herself too thin and I really think it showed with this book. It's nice Bella can have a daughter, but I felt like explanations for that and other things I'll have to try to remember were pulled out of nowhere and discounted her previous books.
I will say one thing in defense of her story: I've seen complaints about Breaking Dawn promoting teen pregnancy and pedophilia that I think are just off the mark. She explained the imprinting bit enough that while odd for culture, should make it clear that there is nothing amiss with Jacob's behavior.
Apparently, I had enough to say about this book that I could've done my own post on this, but I appreciate having a book/movie oriented place to put all my thoughts.
I agree with you that Bella got off very easily (that nice, neat little package ending) and having a little pain to become perfect wasn't enough. I think you make an excellent point that Stephenie Meyer didn't spend enough time on this book. This was the one she should have focused on the most, but I think the publishers knew it would be a hit, no matter what she wrote (she could have written the dictionary backwards and they probably would have published it and still made a gazillion dollars) so they were sloppy. I found myself comparing it with Harry Potter as well, until I realized they don't compare because they are entirely different types of books. I DO think the conclusion to Harry Potter was much more satisfying and meaningful, because of the sacrifices (like people he loved dying for the cause, him giving up his life, etc.). But Bella always came across as a selfish character to me and I think it would have been out of character for her to actually attempt any sort of sacrifice. Anyway, I agree with your arguments.
You all are REALLY making me not want to read these books. This wouldn't be a problem if 1.) I hadn't promised people that I would give it a shot, and 2.) I feel that I really should only because I love to be in the know with books that everyone is talking about. I read the Host and found the same problems that all of you are bringing up (lack of editing, character development, etc.) to be annoying. I don't know if I can make it through 4 fat books of her over describing things.
75 pages of a honeymoon?! Gag.
Ok, so I am not the most "informed" reader out there. I hated and still hate writing papers or talks, and I could NEVER write a book. It is a talent that I will never posses! I read purely for entertainment. If I am entertained then I think it is a good book. That said...I knew that these books were fantasy teenage romance books. (Although, embarrassingly I hate to admit this but I started reading a romance novel of my sisters that I found many years ago and thank goodness I never finished it, but let's just say there is much worse out there! In fact, in comparison Breaking Dawn would be considered rated G!) HOWEVER, I still wouldn't let my daughter read that....I agree with Rachel, Yikes!
Before I was influenced by some of the reviews, I felt like there was something not quite right. Most of my friends have not read book 4 yet, or at least have not finished it yet, so I wasn't able to say much. I didn't even know that there were so many angry fans out there until recently. I checked out a few of the 1500+ reviews on Amazon, and I was surprised after reading the same complaints over and over again, but it helped explain why I was a little disappointed at the end. Don't get me wrong, I love the happy ending, but I felt slightly let down.
I summed up for my friends that had not finished it yet like this: The beginning is cool, (I mean hey she gets married and despite her best effort she really enjoys it. How can you not be happy when you are marrying the love of your life? Then she goes on this cool honeymoon.)then it gets a little weird (getting pregnant was unexpected, but cool. It was the drinking blood and enjoying it, and having the baby draining her and attacking her that was a little weird. When she couldn't keep down any food...hello?? It took them long enough to think about the whole blood thing...I felt like I was watching a movie and I wanted to yell at them..."Hello, she carrying a vampire baby, obviously if it doesn't want real food, what else is there???" At first , I didn't like switching to Jacobs perspective, but then I really liked it. I was however disappointed with the fact that we get to see a better relationship develop between Leah and Jacob and then it turns to nothing. I mean what was the point of that? I thought it was leading somewhere. Not so...that was disappointing. Anyways, then I said it gets better, because she turned into this cool vampire. After that though it just kind of drags on forever. I just remember thinking, " It's nice that she's this cool vampire and everything, but where's the action?" You know something has to happen and you just sit there waiting for it. The whole thing with the Volturi was where I felt it was really lacking. Just like everyone else, I think it was anti-climatic. It was cool, but it never really did anything. Unlike the final battle in Harry Potter, Breaking Dawn built you up for this big thing with the Volturi and then nothing! Don't get me wrong though, as I'm reading it I was glad that no one had to die. I kept thinking that if they fought the Volturi either they would all die, or they would take out the Volturi. If they took out the Volturi I think the vampire world would have errupted in chaos without their "police." However, isn't that the mark of a great writer. Someone who takes an impossible situation and makes it happen in the most creative way, a way that no one else would have thought about. Like in Harry Potter, where everyone knows that Harry has to die since he is a Horacrux, but she ended up doing it so that it works. (Even if I still don't fully understand it.)
Anyways, the end is so nice and perfect. I didn't really think about the fact that Bella got everything she wanted without having to sacrifice a thing, until I read comments about it. I think that I prefer it that way though. I hate movies and books where at the end you say, "Well what was the point if they were just going to die?" I like to be happy at the end of a book and know that the characters are good, it makes it easier to say good-bye. Well, anyways, that in a very LONG nut shell is what I thought of the book. It's nice to finally get that off my chest! I was entertained despite the before mentioned things, therefore, to me I liked the book. I'm not totally in love with it. It could have been better, but why dwell on what could have been!
Thanks for letting me ramble!
Ha! I just read your review and we had a lot of opinions in common, although overall I gave it the thumbs up. The book party should be fun. See ya,
I finally finished the series so I could finally read your post and comment.
I agree it was a painful read due to the lack of writing skills possessed by the author; however, I enjoyed the story. I had accepted the fact before I even started to read the series that not only was the story about vampires (something I held no interest in), but it was also a romance (something I was absolutely unaccustomed to reading). I had low expectations so it was easy to surpass them, but not by much.
I don't want to impose on your rantings too much. I agree with everything you said. One of the things that I kept thinking through the whole book was that my 14 year old sister was reading these books and there were definitely some passages I thought would be too spicy for her in this last book. Stephenie Meyer stays away from describing anything physically pornographic per say, but the emotional descriptions are much too sensual for my tastes. And, for a 14 year old girl (the supposed target audience) it is over and above way too sexual and graphic.
I agree, there is no way I'd recommend this book to a 14 year old girl.
Post a Comment